The Henry Royce Institute Student Summit 2021 was a two-day virtual conference aimed at UK doctoral students undertaking work in materials-related subjects. Over 300 people registered for the Summit, representing nearly 50 different UK universities.
What was the summit about?
The inaugural Royce Student Summit brought together the UK materials PhD and EngD community to share research, network, and learn more about transitioning from doctoral study to the next step on the career ladder.
The theme of the Summit was Advanced Materials for a Sustainable Society, focussing in particular on five key drivers for advanced materials research:
- Transition to Zero Carbon
- Sustainable Manufacture
- Digital and Communications
- Circular Economy
- Health and Wellbeing
Who was the summit for?
The Royce Student Summit was open to doctoral candidates studying a materials-related subject and affiliated with a UK institution, as well as their academic or industrial supervisors.
It offered students opportunities to:
- hear from established industry leaders and academics about the latest materials research;
- gain insights into future career paths and the current jobs market for doctoral graduates;
- meet and network with other members of the materials community;
- apply to present posters and talks;
- participate in workshops addressing the five key drivers for advanced materials research.
When is the next Royce Student Summit?
Plans are underway to host an annual Royce Student Summit, with the hope that next year’s can take place in person at a physical venue.
Register to join the Royce mailing list to ensure you don’t miss out on the opportunity to attend in 2022.